top of page

Getting Married ? Notice of Intended Marriage = NOIM

Getting Married in the Southern highlands? There is one important legal step to take. That is to sign a Notice Of Intended Married = NOIM at least 1 months before the wedding. It might sound complicated but it is simple really! Just 1 form, I'll make sure everything is in order. The NOIM must be signed with me, or witnessed with a JP, or another authorized witness.​ The NOIM is valid for 18 months.

Help to Fill Out a Notice of Intended Marriage

I.D and Documents

Download Notice of Intended Marriage

  • Australian Passport or Birth Certificate  + Driver’s Licence or Photo I.D card.

  • Online Birth Certificate Application here.

  • Passport from your country of birth if born outside Aus or Australian Passport +   Birth Certificate if you have one.

  • Divorce Certificate if previously married.

  • Apply for Australian Proof of Divorce here

  • If you were divorced overseas contact the court where the divorce took place.

  • Need help locating overseas documents?

  • Try this link to the Department of Foreign Affairs Consular List: Consulate Protocols

  • Death Certificate if a previous married partner is deceased​

Click on the link to download and fill out your notice of intended marriage form. Please note it signing the NOIM must be witnessed by myself or an authorised witness indicated on page 2 

  • Please print page 3 & 4

  • Feel free to contact me if you need further assistance


Need a NOIM for Partner - Spouse or Prospective Marriage Visa in Australia?

All overseas couples planning to marry an Australian and gain permanent residency must sign a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) one month before the wedding. The NOIM is valid for 18 months. The NOIM can be signed in countries outside of Australia. Some couples will require a “Letter For Immigration”.

When making a booking for a future wedding a non-refundable lodgement fee of $200 is required, which covers lodging the Notice of Intended Marriage and the Letter for Immigration if the circumstance requires one. Please note – celebrants cannot provide advice on immigration.

Applying for Divorce Certificate Online

Can't find your divorce certificate? Don't stress, its easy to apply online if you were divorced in Australia.

All Australians can apply for Birth Certificates and Australian Divorce certificate Just follow the links. For overseas evidence of divorce try this link to the Department of Foreign Affairs Consular List: Consulate Protocols. You cannot get married in Australia without proof of divorce.

Government information for couples planning to marry

The Australian Government provide this brochure Happily Ever Before and After containing useful information regarding getting married. Good communication is important in a Marriage. It is my professional duty to inform you of the availability of the following preparatory courses for marriage. The Attorney General also suggests that you attend one, however they are not compulsory.

Relationships Australia Bowral

1300 364 277

BCS Lifecare
Phone: 1300 130 225
Sydney locations in Bankstown,

Campbelltown and Penrith

Phone: 13 26 22

How do you choose a celebrant?

I would love you to hire me as your celebrant. I’m a full-time celebrant who has conducted hundreds of weddings. It’s a great job and many hope to become full-time celebrants. However, the average amount of weddings available per celebrant is 7 each per year. So few weddings a year is the most many celebrants will conduct. Like the “my mum has a friend who is a celebrant that will do it for hardly anything” category.


When a couple has spent $1000’s on the rest of the wedding. Is the person who carries out the act of making your marriage legal really the place to save on costs?

Internet forums are awash with horror stories of celebrants who are nervous and unprofessional. Who get names wrong or forget to register marriages. Did you know 1000's of marriage registrations have been incorrectly lodged to the Attorney Generals Office. Therefore experience is important in this profession. 

Application of the Code of Conduct

Celebrants are bound by-laws to ensure they give the best service possible and adhere to the laws of Australia. Celebrants are bound by a code of conduct that all couples may ask for when first enlisting the services of a celebrant. This Code of Practice applies to marriage celebrants (being persons registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961).


Under paragraph 39I(1)(b) of the Marriage Act 1961, if the Registrar of Marriage Celebrants is satisfied that a marriage celebrant has not complied with an obligation under section 39G of that Act, including this Code of Practice, the Registrar may take disciplinary measures against the marriage celebrant.

2 High standard of service. Marriage celebrants must maintain a high standard of service in his or her professional conduct and practice.

3 Recognition of the significance of marriage. Marriage celebrants must recognize the social, cultural, and legal significance of marriage and the marriage ceremony in the Australian community, and the importance of strong and respectful family relationships.

4 Compliance with the Marriage Act and other laws. Marriage celebrants must:(a) solemnize marriages according to the legal requirements of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth); and(b) observe the laws of the Commonwealth and of the State or Territory where the marriage is to be solemnized; and(c) prevent and avoid unlawful discrimination in the provision of marriage celebrant services.

5 General requirements for marriage ceremonies. Marriage celebrants must respect the importance of the marriage ceremony to the parties and the other persons organizing the ceremony.

To that end, the marriage celebrant must do the following:

(a) give the parties information and guidance to enable them to choose or compose a marriage ceremony that will meet their needs and expectations;

b) respect the privacy and confidentiality of the parties;

(c) maintain appropriate facilities to interview parties and provide office facilities, including facilities for the secure storage of records;

d) within a reasonable time before the marriage ceremony:

(i) confirm all details with the parties; and(ii) ensure the return of all personal documents belonging to the parties (unless it is necessary to keep the documents for the ceremony); and(iii) sign any necessary declarations;e) if requested by the parties, conduct a marriage ceremony rehearsal;

f) ensure that his or her personal presentation is of an appropriate standard for the marriage ceremony, and respect the expectations of the parties in relation to the ceremony;

(g) make efforts to ensure that the marriage ceremony is audible to all those present (using audio equipment, if required);

(h) ensure accuracy in the preparation of documents, and in the conduct of the marriage ceremony;

(i) arrive at the venue for the marriage ceremony no later than the time agreed with the parties;

(j) if the marriage celebrant has agreed to perform more than one marriage ceremony on the same day

:(i) ensure that the parties to each marriage receive a level of service that meets their separate and special requirements; and(ii) be available at the venue for each marriage ceremony at least 20 minutes before the agreed commencement of each ceremony (unless, in the case of consecutive ceremonies, the ceremonies are to be held at the same venue);

(k) ensure that all relevant documents are completed and sent to the appropriate registering authority within 14 days after the marriage ceremony, as required by section 50 of the Marriage Act 1961;

(l) in relation to the provision of marriage services, accept evaluative comment from the parties, and use any comments to improve performance;(m) give the parties information about how to notify the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department of any concerns or complaints they may have regarding the marriage services provided by the marriage celebrant.

6 Knowledge and understanding of family relationships services. Marriage celebrants must:(a) maintain an up-to-date knowledge about appropriate family relationships services in the community; and(b) inform parties about the range of information and services available to them to enhance, and sustain them throughout, their relationship.

bottom of page